Monday, April 18, 2011

This is HUGE! - Let's Go Get Food!

From the realm of Cameron's friends, another one bites the dust... or two... or three...

In the MTC, I was known for going through companions like a drag queen goes through sequins.  6 companions in 9 weeks is just slightly above average...  Well, I feel that over 3 1/2 years later, the pattern is coming back into effect.
In the last 4 days, I have gone to one old roommate's bachelor party, had another old roommate (well, basically a roommate... right across the hall in the dorms) get married, and seen my current roommate get engaged.

Needless to say, it has been a week of reflection and contemplation upon the words of 2 great men.
Man 1: Brigham Young: If you're a man and 25 and not married, you're a menace to society
Man 2: Papa: "Now Cameron, don't worry about rushing into the whole marriage thing, but for goodness sake!  Don't wait as long as your dad did!"  - mind all you who read this, my dad got married at 23.

But I digress.  This is a time for rejoicing! 
I dedicate this blog to the happy marriages and futures of three great friends

They're real catches, these three!
Dan = Married  Justin = Married in a Week  David = Just Engaged

Dan, you are such a stud... a regular first class breeding horse.  Go figure that the youngest of the group is one of the first to get hitched.  It was nice to see that it was made facebook official tonight... that's how it is these days... not official 'til it's on fb!  It seems like it was only yesterday that you and Justin were throwing me a surprise 18th birthday party at Chuck-E-Cheese's.  I still can't believe how well you pulled that off... or maybe I just can't believe how dumb I was for not realizing what was going on even as we pulled up to such a childish place.

So big congrats to David on getting engaged as of last night.  I'd like to rewind just a sec and interject a little Lindsey quote into the mix so that it has just the right amount of southern flair.  She and Megan were over at our apt when David walked in and told us the news.  Without skipping a beat, she throws her hands up in the air in a matter-of-fact way and says, "Guuuuys-uh!  This is SO HUGE! Let's go get food!"  Yup... not only do her words epitomize the sentiments of the evening, but also the Mormon culture... something big happens, and what do we do?  We eat.  Weddings? We eat.  Baptisms? We eat.  Funerals? We eat. Uncle Bert's triple bypass? We eat (and mostly fried foods or some potato casserole at that!).
 I must say, it's about time that he and Sara get engaged!  But after a week sabbatical from Sara and a date with a girl who is less than half the woman Sara is (everything but physically Sara... don't worry... you're not that fat), David finally popped the question, thus leaving me roommate-less for the upcoming fall semester.  They really are quite good for each other.  They both laugh at my jokes... they both seek my approval in nearly everything... and they both agree that I'm pretty much the coolest person that they'll ever meet.  Really though, she's my favorite girlfriend that David has had.  

Now Justin.  Dear Justin, how I've missed our escapades from freshman year.  Hopefully Brittany will understand and accept your desire to cross-dress in second-hand thrift stores.  Your bachelor party was fantastic, but so Mormon... someday there may be a REAL bachelor party in Provo... or not.  I'd put money on the latter.  Somehow, I don't believe that you would be able to gather 20 men at a pizza buffet family restaurant for a man's last night of freedom anywhere other than Happy Valley, UT. Anyway, I'm sorry that since that blessed year of frosh, we have not stayed so close.  I regret it many times, but alas, you are on to far better and much prettier things than I.

It's so great to see these guys grow up... maybe some day I'll reach the maturity level of a 12-year-old deacon and my time will come.  Until then, I'm gonna party like there's no tomorrow and have a blast doing it!
Maybe my friend Cebre put it best in her oh so tender post from last week. http://cebreful.blogspot.com/2011/04/everything-will-work-out.html





1 comment:

  1. Haha, what can I say? I love your writing style Cameron!

    ReplyDelete