Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Devolution of the Beard

Yup, it's about time... I know... It's been a pretty busy summer and been over 2 months since my last post... so much for the goal of being a successful blogger.  After a murderous Spring term and a fun-filled summer as an EFY counselor, I went home for about a week and a half.  Now at BYU there are fairly strict (and often times ridiculous) rules imposed upon the students.  One of such rules that affects the men of BYU (well, lets hope it's just the men) is that we are required to be clean-shaven at all times.  While there are exceptions like the mustache and the lucky man with sensitive skin who gets a beard card, it is something that the Y-chromosomes in the 2-mile radius must endure.  Well, this rule in particular is also applied to EFY counselors, so when all was done with that chapter in my life, I decided to liberate by poor neck and go a while (ok, so like a week and a half) without shaving.  The result was as follows:

However, one of my coworkers texted me saying that she had to make an emergency trip to Colorado, so there were some extra shifts available.  Because I took such a long time off to visit home, I figured I could use some extra money (that, and I realized I had NO groceries to my name, so I need to pay for food).  Unfortunately, every decision comes with a consequence and this decision resulted in the necessity for me to shave.  I work  on campus, so all campus rules apply at work as well.  As I went to the sink, I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "Self, if we're gonna do this, lets make it fun."  [by the way, for all you grammarians out there, no, I don't know if thoughts belong in quotation marks and quite honestly, I don't particularly care]  I figured that this would probably be the last time in who knows how long that I would have this much facial hair, so why not see how I look with a variety of styles!  I decided to take it in steps.

Step 1:  Shave the neck

 

I have to admit, it was really nice to not have a really itchy neck, but I don't know how much it really changed the appearance of the beard, so I moved on to a new style.

Step 2:  Shave the cheeks to make chinstraps

An interesting look, but I can't say it was my favorite, though it did remind me that in recent months, I think I may have developed slight dimples (no, they weren't ever there before).  Anyway, I kind of felt like a high school teacher... probably not the feeling that you would expect, but I swear the majority of the high school teachers at my school had chinstraps

Step 3: Goatee Creation


Honestly, the goatee just made me feel old.
Step 4: I got a Sexy 'Stache 


By this point, I have to say that the only thing that came to mind was the ever-classic line from The Princess Bride, "Aaaaaassss yooooouuuuu wiiiiiiiiiiiissshhhhh!"
The thing with the 'stache is that it IS BYU approved, so technically, I could keep it and not be in the wrong.  However, there are so many terrible stigmas about those with mustaches that I was nervous about keeping it.  
If you will, I wish to take a moment to share with all those who have never been exposed to the wonders of Divine Comedy, a comedy club here at the BY of U.

Now I personally don't think it looked too bad, but I also don't want to be referred to as having a Chester the molester mustache.  Ergo, I went all the way to Step 5.


Step 5: Get rid of it all!


Yup, so now it's gone and I am back to a bit of a baby face, but that's ok.  And now that you're absolutely sick of seeing pictures of me, I would totally love your input as to which style you enjoy best!  Very narcissistic, I know, but please comment below, and no, I won't be offended by any opinion expressed.  I basically want to know if I should dry shave for a week and tear up my neck for a week once winter hits to try and get a beard card :)

Oh! and I almost forgot... the aftermath in the sink... grody, I know.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the stache. It worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do old ladies opinions count? You sure don't look like our missionary anymore! You looked good in each style, but I preferred the first look with the whole beard and stache. Our friend Chris just left here after a summer of growing hair and he was dreading shaving it all off. Love you, Cameron! Oh, just a side note, Amy and Jeff Fredline just had a sweet little son on July 27th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally like the whole beard and stache. If you ever did the chin strap thing for real i don't know if i could look you straight in the face. The goatee isn't bad. I've never been a fan of moustaches by themselves, that's just me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't lie, kinda liked the chinstraps..... hahaha. Or the full beard. Also, loved your side note about not knowing whether thoughts go in quotations or not... I always put them in quotations, but always wonder if that is right! haha. It's been too long, we should hang out this fall!

    ReplyDelete