Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wishin' Wednesday - Words of Wisdom for Women

I was walking to work this morning with my iPad on shuffle (yes, mock if you will that I'm using my iPad in lieu of an iPod, but that's what you get when your iPod is stolen and you win an iPad).  Anyway, one of my all-time favorite soundtracks came on: the My Best Friend's Wedding soundtrack.

It's a great movie (who can go wrong with Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, and Rupert Everett) with even better music.  It's one of those soundtracks that you can play on repeat and never get sick of any of the songs (if you want another soundtrack you can listen to over and over, check out the A Walk to Remember soundtrack). 

Well, the song that is inspiring this post is by the one and only, Ani DiFranco: "Wishin' and Hopin'."


First of all, let me say that I LOVE this intro--everything about it is fantastic.  But as I was listening to this song this morning, I realized how great these lyrics are.  I recognize that the lyrics are long, but girls, if you want some words of wisdom to help you in the man's world, read!

Wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin',
Planning and dreamin' each night of his charms.
That won't get you into his arms

So if your're looking for love you can share
All you gotta to is hold him, and kiss him, and love him,
And show him that you care.

Show him that you care, just for him.
Do the things that he likes to do.
Wear your hair just for him, 'cause,
You won't get him, thinkin' and a prayin',
Wishin' and hopin'.

'Cause wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin',
Planning and dreamin' his kisses will start.
That won't get you into his heart!

So if you're thinking how great true love is
All you gotta to is hold him, and kiss him, and squeeze him, and love him.
Yeah, just do it!
And after you do, you will be his.

I've had so many girls complain about how their love life is mediocre or non-existent all together.  They go on and on about how the boy they like just isn't paying attention to them or isn't noticing them at school or church etc. and they don't understand why!  

Listen chicas, you've gotta put in some effort!  Guys want to be noticed too, and they want to know you're not just playing games with him ('cause you know you do!--don't try to deny it!)  So many times, I've had friends of the female gender simply think that, like the song says, that wishin', and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin' really will get them into his arms.  Nope. Not gonna happen that way.  Some guys really are intimidated or shy and they need all the help they can get... even if it means that you are a little more forward than your traditionalist he-has-to-do-everything attitude may desire.

Basically, guys are physically inclined; it's an unfortunate fact.  Now don't give up your standards, but "hold him, and kiss him, and love him, and show him that you care... do the things that he likes to do, [and] wear your hair just for him, 'cause you won't get him thinkin' and prayin', wishin', and hopin'."

4 comments:

  1. Great post Cameron. I am going to link it. Great great song and even better advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron! your facebook led me here. now i can blog stalk you. i recently just watched this movie and it is sure a classic. "IT IS NOT. GOING. WELL!!!" my favorite part at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cameron,
    I have loved this song for basically my entire life, and the fact that you made an entire blog post about it just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Yet another reason why were friends

    ReplyDelete