Friday, October 7, 2011

Flashback Friday--The Everlasting War

Since the dawn of time (or at least the late 90s), there has been a rivalry of outlandish proportions.  This war has been the topic of many a debate among children of the '90s and I doubt that there will ever be a truce.  The battle of which I am speaking is not referring to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, nor is it the American Eagle and Abercrombie squabble; I am speaking of the battle of epic proportions: 

*NSYNC vs Backstreet Boys

 
I don't care who you were as a middle-school preteen, you had a favorite between the two and you know it!  I still remember my friends Laura and Lauren sitting in the hall of San Marcos Middle School talking about how they were saving up to buy picture cards by mail of their favorite boy band members and deciding who got which cards.  I'd venture to say that for the girls, it came down to whether you had a crush on Nick Carter and his voluminous middle part or Justin Timberlake with his curly bleached locks.


If you were a weird one that liked Chris or AJ, more power to you, but that's kinda nasty... they're like the man-woman in the Pussycat Dolls... bless their little hearts, there has to be one in every group!

bless
their
hearts
For the guys, well, I don't know if there was really ever a battle... I think we all really liked them, but were too insecure with ourselves to admit it.  Instead, we spent our time coming up with clever names like NSTINK, 98 disease, and Backstreet Butts.

Here's my own personal opinion...
NSYNC was more popular... they were all-around cooler (Justin was dating Britney, afterall!), but Backstreet Boys had better music.  I know that some of you may disagree with me, but I stand by my decision.  "Bye Bye Bye" had some of the most memorable dance moves and are still being memorized today (exhibit A: my efy boys who performed the choreography in their week's talent show).  However, no girl can listen to "Shape of My Heart" or "Show Me the Reason of Being Lonely" without having her heart go aflutter.  It seems that Backstreet Boys songs have lasted over the last decade far better than NSYNC's have.

Anyway, let me know what you think and answer my survey... the winner will be given in next week's Friday Flashback!







 

1 comment:

  1. Bye Bye Bye takes the cake. Even our girls love that song the most...20 years later.

    You are seriously the cutest boy ever if I were 20 years younger and single, I would crush on you. :)

    I just thought of something I didn't tell you today. Here is some blogging advice. Blog WHO you are and readers will find you because you are you.

    I think this post is on the right track. How many boys are willing to admit their love for the boyband? :)

    ReplyDelete