Friday, October 21, 2011

Flashback Friday--gonna take polution down to zero!

  

So when I was in young mens in church, my priest's quorum teacher was pretty dang cool... totally granola, but awesome.  He was an environmental scientist of some sorts... basically, he went around surveying land and deciding what areas could or could not be developed... stuff like, you can build here, but you have to keep this many trees and you have to be yay-far from the river etc.  Anyway, we dubbed him Captain Planet because of his saving the planet and whatnot.

 But honestly, who didn't love Captain Planet? The green mullet and the blue skin made every kid think he was just the coolest thing ever!  Even the song was sweet (it still pops in my head every once in a while).

 
Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart!
GO PLANET!

With your powers combined I am Captain Planet!

Captain Planet, he's our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero,
He's our powers magnified,
And he's fighting on the planet side

Captain Planet, he's our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero,
Gonna help him put us under,
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder

"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the planeteers,
You can be one too!
'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do,
Looting and polluting is not the way,
Hear what Captain Planet has to say:
"THE POWER IS YOURS!!" 

 So I may or may not have that entire song memorized...  I do have one question though: who the heck thought that giving that South American kid the power of heart was a good idea!?  Really!?  All the other kids get cool rings of mass destruction.  Just watch the intro and you'll see what I mean.


Earth can be ripped into craters and bust out mountains, wind is a lethal tornado, water attacks the fat dude in tsunami fashion, and fire melted the flippin' ground and made the truck fall into the hot tar!  Then what does heart get? A monkey friend.  Poor kid... he's kind of like the little sibling or damsel in distress in the group.  As much as I love the Pink Ranger, he's kind of like her--just needs saving all the time and can't really do much for himself.  I don't think I remember ever even seeing him do anything in the show besides talk to animals.  I think that Gaia realized that she needed to represent that continent and said "hmm... what should I give him to fight with?  I know! love!"  poor kid.

Anyway, Halloween is coming up next week, and just sayin', Captain Planet would be a pretty killer costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment