Friday, November 4, 2011

Flashback Friday--Stand Out!

So once upon a time, back in elementary school, I may or may not have dressed up as a little-known rock star named Powerline for dress-up day at school.  It wasn't Halloween or anything like that... just a day that allowed us kids to do something fun.  Anyway, I felt unbelievably cool as I walked around school dressed in slick sunglasses and a sweat suit with an atom that my mom so lovingly fabric-markered on the front.  My parents were such sports about the whole thing... I remember it being the night before and going through several stores trying to find a yellow something or other that would work for the outfit.  We finally settled on a white sweat suit from Wal-Mart (that's the first and really one of the only times I remember going to Wal-Mart as a kid... we were totally a Target family).  I wish I had pictures of it because I was awesome, but alas, I don't.  The only problem was that when I went to school, no one really knew who I was... they just weren't as cool as I.


Seriously though, who could not love Powerline or A Goofy Movie!?  It was kind of a defining movie and soundtrack of my generation's childhood.  I totally remember going to the movie theater right next to the K-Mart that our neighbors John and Connie worked at.  We parked on the back side of the theater at the bottom of a hill that was covered with that weird plant that grows like weeds... it has kind of thick leaves and if you break the leaves, white stuff strings out.  Anyway, that's completely unimportant and you really don't care.  However, it's my blog and I'll write what I want... On top of being the coolest movie I had ever seen, the movie was extra exciting because my mom bought the kids snack pack (you know... the box with popcorn, a drink, and a tube of m&m minis) for both my sister and me... yup, I got my own!  But I was absolutely enthralled by both the movie and the music.  I wanted to be Max.  When the movie was done, we walked out to the car and I totally danced the entire way to the car, imitating (or at least trying to imitate) every move that Max and Powerline did to their hit singles, Stand Out and I2I.




Even now, I still jam out to those songs, and yes, I most definitely do know all the words.  I still sing along at the top of my lungs and bust out whatever dance moves flow through my body.  It's juvenile, it's "Goofy" (yes, pun absolutely intended), it's absolutely ridiculous, but I have the time of my life doing so!
P.S. You totally do it too!

3 comments:

  1. everytime time I hear that music, I never have a bad feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earlier today, I was totally thinking about the "Hi Dad Soup" exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a confession. I've watched these clips over and over and over in between calls. Sigh. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete