Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pathetically Pumpkin

I think I'm sick.  No, not in the ralphing, wheezing, sneezing sort of way--in the I-have-an-obsession-and-it-may-be-unhealthy sort of way.  My roommate Jake and I are addicted to pumpkin.  Ever since the autumn season has rolled around, we can't get enough... Whenever we see a pumpkin or hear of a pumpkin recipe, our eyes get big and our mouths start salivating.  I suppose you could say that we're starting to suffer from Pavlov's Dog Syndrome (no, I don't know if that really is a diagnosed syndrome, but it works well enough for me).  

Just last Friday, Wallis invited my apartment over for a Sunday dinner party.  Wallis and I were sitting in the kitchen and Jake was in the living room nearly konked out in the lovesac.  Kyle politely declined (not rude... he had his birthday dinner with his family already planned) and Jake somewhat acknowledged the invitation.  Wallis then mentioned that we would be having homemade pumpkin ravioli.  Jake all of a sudden shoots up out of the lovesac and looks over at us with a gleam in his eye (much similar to what I imagine would be in Santa's eye upon seeing a plate of cookies and a glass of milk).  He just sits there and smiles at us, a silent, but most definite rsvp.

Really though, we've made TONS of pumpkin stuff... pumpkin cookies, pumpkin fudge, baked pumpkin, pumpkin french toast, several pumpkin soups, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin pie, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cheese ziti... sweet or savory, pumpkin has officially taken over our lives.

We've realized that it's been comical over the last few weeks (we finished off 16 cups of pumpkin puree in a 2 week time period), but last night, we finally conceded to the fact that yes, it is an addiction.  We've had 4 large pumpkins from our other roommate Jim's family's garden sitting in our kitchen for about a week and a half now.  We've been wanting to turn them into puree, but just haven't gotten around to it.  Until last night, that is.  So what do we do? We, two 23 year-old men, start up 4 pots of water and get going on the boiling down of pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin until the wee hours of the night.

Pumpkin cooking in all of it's Autumn glory
Jake, the pumpkin master

Ok, so I lied... I didn't really start doing the pumpkin cooking... I was actually on the phone with my sister in Hawaii when Jake decided to begin his pumpkin conquest.  I came upstairs and was blasted with a good, hard shot of hot humidity.  With water boiling non-stop, our upstairs became quite the sauna.  Nearly everything was fogging up (including my glasses, the clock, and the windows... even the doorknob had a good amount of moisture).  The best part, though, was opening the door because steam just billowed out (unfortunately, it is that cold that you can see steam leaving your apartment).

Yes, that is steam leaving out of our door
Once I got up there, I got to work skinning pumpkin and chopping it all up... because of our lack of quality knives and the excessive amount of cutting, I got a blister at the base of my index finger.

A trash can full of pumpkin peel (plus an empty box of Charleston Chews that Jim has most likely forgotten were in the freezer until he reads this... oops!)


 

 It was a lot of pumpkin, but at the rate that we went through our first batch of 16 cups, I doubt that we'll struggle using it all.  The night did take its toll on us... we're just not as young as we used to be.  We keep on telling ourselves that we're not going to keep staying up late, but we continue to make the same mistakes over and over.  Because we keep disregarding our better judgment, we end up looking something like this at the end of the night.


Anyway, we obviously have a lot of pumpkin in our house right now... We've tried a lot of different recipes, but if you have any good pumpkin recipes, post a link or the recipe!  We wanna try them!

4 comments:

  1. PUMPKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, worst picture of me EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make me a pumpkin pie! :) Also, definitely NOT a syndrome - Pavlov's dogs shows classical conditioning... read a psych book why don't ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's genetic... your younger brother and sister both chose pumpkin pie instead of birthday cake this year! and tonight we're having pumpkin waffles for dinner... mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't blogged since I left. Is life really that bad?

    ReplyDelete